CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: breakout boards plus - hard choice

on 2007-07-19 18:08:18 UTC
A typical stepper is 200 step/revolution or 50 poles. This type
of motor can lag 3.6 degrees before losing its way. Add
inertial to the mix and lagging 3.6 degrees without losing
a step is quite believeable. It should be noted that this is
actually 1/2 of a pole of lag, not 2 poles.

Steve Stallings
www.pmdx.com

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm surprised as well. I expect that the momentum of the machine keeps it
> travelling, but it doesn't explain how it gains the step back.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>

> Mark Vaughan wrote:
> > Hi Ron
> >

> > I thought though that 2 poles lag was the point at which you normally
> > irrecoverably loose a step, and normally you limit acceleration to stop
> > loosing pulses with a basic stepper drive which does not have an error
> > counter and cannot move onto the next step unless the previous one is
> > committed and almost completed by the motor.

Discussion Thread

Steve Stallings 2007-07-19 18:08:18 UTC Re: Re: Re: breakout boards plus - hard choice Mark Vaughan 2007-07-20 00:28:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: Re: breakout boards plus - hard choice