CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Chinese drives from Keeling Do you have a Link?

Posted by emt_46058
on 2007-07-25 08:22:16 UTC
John,
Do you have a link for these Chinese drives from Keeling?
Larry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Stevenson" <john@...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@> wrote:
> >
> > rocketscientistnate wrote:
> > I'm running Gecko 201's with the
> > > original steppers, and I thinking that if I trade those out
for some
> > > new steppers it will probably fix it. I'm looking at some
from
> > > Tormach, I understand their mills are pretty good so maybe
their
> motors
> > > are too. First I want to make sure the 1200 oz-in is the
right size,
> > > maybe the 640 oz-in for the z and a axes.
> >
> > Why do you believe changing the motors will stop it from losing
> > steps? Does it do this only on occasion or frequently? Do you
> > hear obvious stalls of the motors, or is the positioning just
> > creeping over time?
> >
> > What software are you running? What type of interface do you
> > have between the parallel port and the Gecko drives?
> >
> > There are well-known problems between certain programs, certain
> > settings and certain vintages of Gecko drives that misinterpret
> > step command right around direction changes. The older Gecko
> > 210 drives with the pulse multipliers are the most finicky, but
> > you can get almost any Gecko 201 to do the same (lose a step
> > often during axis reversal) if the timing between the step
> > pulses and the direction signal is not right. I wouldn't lay
> > out serious money on new motors until I was sure this problem
> > was ruled out.
> >
> > Jon
> >

> Jon,
> The problem with the old BOSS machines is they big 42 motors are
not
> suited to the Gecko drives.
> They are just too big and require too much power, typically 9 amps
> be reliable.
>
> Most were only 850 to 900 oz/in and with time probably a lot less
than
> that. The modern 34's can use less power, have faster acceleration
and
> be far more reliable.
>
> As you say early to mid release Gecko's are the worse. I can get
these
> to run reliably with the Chinese drives from Keeling but not
Gecko's.

> I have had a Divisionmaster indexer driving a big Hoffman dividing
> head via a 201 Gecko and it has been loosing steps for a while.
> Last week I needed some accurate splines so tested the head by
setting
> to 10 divisions and doing 5 rotations. At the end of the 5
rotations I
> was 1/2 a hole [ 5mm ] off the mark.
>
> Just swapping the driver to the Chinese 7.9 amp one and retesting
gave
> me no visable error at 10 rotations.
>
> I also have a BOSS going thru refit and that is having 1100 oz/in
> motors and the Chinese drives fitted.
>
> John S.

Discussion Thread

rocketscientistnate 2007-07-24 17:39:29 UTC Tormach stepper motors Jon Elson 2007-07-24 18:50:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tormach stepper motors Robert Colin Campbell 2007-07-24 21:01:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tormach stepper motors John Stevenson 2007-07-25 01:03:22 UTC Re: Tormach stepper motors emt_46058 2007-07-25 08:22:16 UTC Re: Chinese drives from Keeling Do you have a Link? Jon Elson 2007-07-25 09:28:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tormach stepper motors rocketscientistnate 2007-07-25 13:26:43 UTC Re: Tormach stepper motors