CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Component Loactions

Posted by caudlet
on 2007-08-06 22:48:45 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "chind73" <chris.hind@...> wrote:

> Hello every one,
> I have been lurking here for a while and have finally started the
> build of my CNC mill. I would like you thoughts on where I should
> mount the main electrical components to minimize any interference.
> Should I mount all 3 main parts: computer, power supply and
> drivers/breakout board in the same electrical cabinet and have the
> longer leads leading to the steppers? I am looking at the idea of
> mounting all three in separate boxes in different places on the
> machine, this make running the printer cable the longest and the power
> supply medium distance but would reduce the length of the stepper
> motor leads.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Chris
> Tottenham, Ontario, Canada

Throughout our designs we have always held to the concept that hot,
noisy power components are better separated from more sensitive logic
level electronics. We use a PC interface concept that places the
"breakout" control box up to 15' from a table mounted power
controller. By using balanced buss driver technology we buffer the
step & direction low level signals from the computer. Signals coming
in (sensors, switches, etc) are not sent through the power control
section but directly to the PC interface box. Taking it further we
keep motor neg (with it's high current PWM waveforms) off the ground
of the power control and isolate the Gecko heatsink from chassis
(safety ground).

Since we deal a lot with plasma related installs, noise becomes a
major issue, and designing to stop it from getting into the PC and
control electronics is easier than trying to track it down after the
table is built.

If you mount the power components and motor drives closer to the load
they drive (at the table), and feed that remotely with buffered and
isolated I/O you can build a system that is compact and reliable. An
added benefit is that status indicators, readouts and control buttons
can be placed at the the operators location instead of buried in a box
somewhere.

Take a look at our Packaged Systems and the new "EZ Plug" modular
component approach we are building. Even if you don't elect to buy
our solution you might get some useful ideas.

We will have an announcement shortly about our modular line of CNC
cards that plug together and take the frustration and time out of
handwiring and troubleshooting countless connections.

tomCAUDLE
www.CandCNC.com
BOB's
Digital THCs
DXFTool Software
Complete Electronic Packages
Stepper & Servo Systems
Hand Controllers

Discussion Thread

chind73 2007-08-06 16:25:23 UTC CNC Component Loactions Robert Colin Campbell 2007-08-06 16:33:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Component Loactions caudlet 2007-08-06 22:48:45 UTC Re: CNC Component Loactions