CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: CAD\CAM and PRO E

Posted by Ejay Hire
on 2000-07-31 08:28:25 UTC
One of the companies I do work for uses Pro/e. They run it on NT
workstation boxes, and it seems to work ok. the y have custom scripts set
up so that they enter the vvalues for a part (usually a knob on a rock
drill) and it will automagically create the part design, and then the
punches they need to make it out of Tungsten Carbide.

Pretty Cool. Way too Pricey.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ratliffgrp@...
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: CAD\CAM and PRO E
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:14:06 EDT

I have had limited experience (read as "took a demonstration class") with
Pro-E but found that it was too expensive for the company that I used to
work
for. I began reading about other parametrically based programs, and found a
(then) new company called SolidWorks. It was explained to me that
SolidWorks
was founded by some fellows that left the Pro-E company (Parametric
Technologies) and developed their own, parametrically based program. I do
not yet own a copy of SolidWorks, but have used it and followed it over the
last several years. The program is Windows-based, is very easy to use, has
3-D modeling capabilities and costs about as much as AutoCAD. Most all of
the feedback I have heard about the program and its features is positive.
Get yourself a Demo Disk at www. solidworks.com. I hope to get a full blown
package this year.

Good Luck!

David Ratliff