CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gates-free CAD-CAM-CNC? {CAUTION}

Posted by caudlet
on 2007-08-25 08:39:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "scyvt" <scy@...> wrote:

> I have been lurking here for several years, waiting for the right
moment to plunge ahead. One
> of the biggest obstacles for me is conceptual, not practical - I
don't care to have put one
> penny in Mr Gates pocket. When will the moment arrive when all three
necessary software
> functions can be accomplished without Windows? EMC can handle the
CNC end on Linux, and
> there are various CAD programs for Linux & Mac OS X, so the CAM
function seems to be the
> last frontier. (Of course, one can write one's own G-code, but that
only takes you so far.)

> Has anyone succeded yet in getting entirely free of Windows?
>
> Steve Clay-Young

To ALL members:

While discussion of using Linux, MAC or alternate OS's for CNC is
open, these threads tend to slide quickly towards emotional tirades
about the evil MS empire and contribute little to the subject of
building home CNC machines. Then we get into the whole PC - MAC
thing, etc, etc.

So a warning: DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE ABOUT OPERATING SYSTEMS
other than to outline the alternatives.

So if someone knows of a good CAM program for Linux or MAC then post
about it. If you want to talk about the possibilities of using a
specific OS WITH a CNC build then post it. If you want to rant about
the social, political or emotional part of the issue then move it to a
blog spot where you can find others that will benefit from the exchange.

TOM C
List Ogre

Discussion Thread

scyvt 2007-08-25 04:43:52 UTC Gates-free CAD-CAM-CNC? caudlet 2007-08-25 08:39:56 UTC Re: Gates-free CAD-CAM-CNC? {CAUTION} Jon Elson 2007-08-25 11:33:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gates-free CAD-CAM-CNC? {CAUTION}