CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home-Brew CNC lathe

Posted by hannu
on 2007-08-30 15:10:18 UTC
I have been building home-shop cnc stuff for 4 years.
I may be able to help.

If you are interested, let me know
1. your use for the lathe wood, metal, plastics - production, hobby,
semi-production, job-shop etc.
2. what size do you want ? 4-6-8-10" swing ?, speed ? hp ?
3. what equipment/know.how you have available - i.e. surface grinding
equipment, welding, milling etc.
4. the key question;
4.a. when do you want it
4.b. for how much
4.c. how ? or do you know ?
4.c.1 I.e. servos, 2g, linear scales, 0.002 mm res (3-4000 $, easy to do)
4.c.2. or, steppers, 3x9", 200oz.in, 24 v, 30 in/min, 0.02 res, slow,
old pc, cheap (easy, lots of work, very cheap 100-400$)
Please note the enormous difference in price between the two.
Its not a joke.
There are about 10 differentials that may cost serious money or effort.

Until you know and can decide between them, the only way to get a good
overall solution is
for you to tell us what you want to do. We can then advise based on
common know-how and
consensus and experience. Example - use bipolar, not uniplolar (small
silly ex).

For example [2]-
Best solution for precision measurement is linear scales, and servos.
About 1000 $ for z-axis for lathe. If you will drive servos off the same
linear scales,
you need another 1000-2000 $ in servos, cards, etc. For one axis, 10-20".
This is because you will need high-quality ballnuts, and ground
ballscrews, between 500-2000 $/axis.
It will also get you the absolute best in quality.

For some examples, from one end of the scale to the other ;
1.My scratch-built mill was approx. 2000 hours, 3-4 years, 5k$ in parts
2.My lathe cnc conversion was about 1 week, 40-50 hours, 500 $ in parts.
3.My lathe bed/table was about 200$ in parts, and 150 hours. It took a
month, every day,
and I don't work a day job, only on this.
Its a lot better than the lathe, and improves the lathe by over 200 %.
Its also over 4 times the weight of the lathe.

A scratch-built lathe will be in between the two, depending on;
-linear ways
-electronics & electrics (small variance)
-precision desired
-size desired

Is is not (too) hard to substitute work for $$.
But its a lot of hours. Do you have the hours ? Tools ? Time ?
Equipment? Skills ?
If not, do you want to learn/wait for one of the above ?
I had the desire & some training, and built the rest.

You need to help us with your particular requirements, and we can help
you get there.
Jon's mail is spot-on.
Easiest, fastest, cheapest way is to convert a small "store" lathe (new
or old).

Let us know, there are many people who will be glad to help.
Best, h.

chinmay61076 2007-08-30 13:50:25 UTC Home-Brew CNC lathe JanRwl@A... 2007-08-30 14:27:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home-Brew CNC lathe hannu 2007-08-30 15:10:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home-Brew CNC lathe