CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: anti-back lash nuts

Posted by Yahoo
on 2007-11-08 06:57:40 UTC
Phil Mattison
http://www.ohmikron.com/
Motors::Drivers::Controllers::Software

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Fagan <woodworker88@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anti-back lash nuts

> The main problem with modifying the nuts is that in return for reducing
> backlash, the nut must fit tightly on the screw. On a new machine, such
as
> the Taig CNC mills which have anti-backlash nuts from the factory, this is
> not as much of a problem, since the screws are in good shape. However, on
> an older, used machine, the screw may be worn, possibly significantly.
Most
> of this wear will be in the center of the travel. If you tighten the nuts
> in the center, they will bind dangerously near the ends of the travel,
where
> the wear is less. If you tighten at the ends, then it will still be loose
> in the center. IMO, the effort and expense of replacing the screws with
new
> ones and modifying the nuts is not significantly less than acquiring and
> retrofitting anti-backlash ballscrews.
>
> On Nov 7, 2007 12:58 AM, zs6bxi <bobt@...> wrote:
>
> > Apart from alot of lurking, I think that is the first time that i have
> > posted to the group. I have an elderly Boxford lathe that I am moving
> > towards using CAD-CAM on (mainly for taper turning screw cutting etc.)I
> > have pulled the cross slide feed screw and nut out and am looking to
> > see what can be done to improve the back lash. (its not bad for its age
> > and being a lathe as well)I have seen several references to slitting of
> > nuts, adding of extra nuts and spring pressure and using other sections
> > of treaded rod as a nut. But what I would like to know and get advice
> > on before I start slitting my expensive to replace nuts is, how
> > sucessful have these methods been ?
> >
> > Regards Bob

Discussion Thread

zs6bxi 2007-11-07 00:58:35 UTC anti-back lash nuts Jim DuBois 2007-11-07 04:20:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anti-back lash nuts David G. LeVine 2007-11-07 10:53:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anti-back lash nuts Michael Fagan 2007-11-07 17:02:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anti-back lash nuts Yahoo 2007-11-08 06:57:40 UTC Re: anti-back lash nuts Jim DuBois 2007-11-08 08:26:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: anti-back lash nuts Andy Wander 2007-11-08 08:29:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: anti-back lash nuts Jon Elson 2007-11-08 10:34:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: anti-back lash nuts