CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues

Posted by John Dammeyer
on 2007-11-17 10:36:31 UTC
Hi Chuck,

You're dealing with an inductor that takes a logarithmic amount of time
to build up current and it's the current (amp x turns) in the motor that
creates the torque. Step too soon before the current is built up to
maximum and the motor doesn't develop enough torque.

Now add to that the result of the motor turning creating back emf and
the faster the motor turns the more the back emf resists current
build-up in the winding. That's what also limits the top speed of a DC
motor for a given applied voltage.

The way the high end stepper controllers work is to change the log curve
for current build-up by increasing the applied voltage and then limiting
the current when the motor current spec is met. The limiting is either
done with a resistor in series with the power (RL) or with a chopping
circuit. The UCN5804 is usually RL limited. With 9 volts and a 5 volt
motor you don't have a lot of head room so you are limited in your
stepping rate.

If you have a scope available, you can put a small series resistor in
series with the motor winding and use that to measure the current.
Apply the voltage to the winding and note the time when it reaches max.
That will give you an idea of how fast your stepping pulses can be
before you start to lose torque.

Speed the stepping rate up and watch the current drop. Here are a
couple of scope photos that demonstrate a doubling of stepping speed
results in current just barely getting to max.

http://www.autoartisans.com/images/123RPM.JPG
http://www.autoartisans.com/images/246RPM.JPG

The yellow trace is low when current is turned on. It goes on and off
when max current is reached.
The blue trace shows current in the winding.

So in your case you need slow down the motor to avoid it skipping or
locking up.

John Dammeyer

Automation Artisans Inc.
http://www.autoartisans.com
Ph. 1 250 544 4950

Discussion Thread

ebiz_59 2007-11-17 05:09:33 UTC stepper issues hannu 2007-11-17 06:27:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues Chuck Merja 2007-11-17 08:59:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues John Dammeyer 2007-11-17 10:36:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues Tom Hubin 2007-11-17 14:05:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues David G. LeVine 2007-11-17 21:09:34 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues Yahoo 2007-11-18 11:14:00 UTC Re: stepper issues Chuck Merja 2007-11-19 05:24:34 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper issues Yahoo 2007-11-19 06:38:23 UTC Re: stepper issues David G. LeVine 2007-11-21 11:07:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: stepper issues Chuck Merja 2007-11-24 17:11:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper update