CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets

on 2007-11-23 05:45:38 UTC
Hello,

YES, I did buy the book. Maybe a year ago. Or two? I don't recall exactly
because it seems like it has always been here.

YES, it is a start to finish read in my opinion. I've read it twice.
Completely, even the introduction.

NO, I have no connection with the author. What I say here is my opinion,
nothing more, nothing less.

This is a book about doing things and arriving at finishing your machining
in the best, quickest way producing exactly that what you had in mind. As
the author puts it himself: "It is difficult, however, to find a book that
provides practical "how to" information that can immediately be put to use
to improve ones machining skills, craftsmanship and productivity."

I couldn't have said it better because that's exactly what this book is
aimed at. It is directed mainly toward the conventional tool room machinist
and after all that's what all are, in the end. So this book isn't about
theory. It provides loads of practical tips, techniques, suggestions and
remarks and everyone can learn from it. I certainly did in spite of my 40
odd years of experience in machining.

For instance: we all have to align a machine vice every now and again, do
we? Well, I for one always did it the way I was told to do as an apprentice
and that's the way the author describes. At least: At first, because he
presents a far better way. After much turning the cranks he asked himself:
"Isn't there a better way?" And, indeed, there is. This book tells you how
and it's� simple and effective.

Ever had to punch in some numbers with hand stamps? Where they aligned
afterwards? Difficult, isn't it? Well, on page 103, the author reveals the
secret: A piece of masking tape. Why in the world didn't I think of that?

There is an appendix with drawings of some useful tools you can make
yourself.

And it goes on an on, for 312 pages.

There are some reading proofs on the web site, if I am not wrong. So why not
take a look?

The last page is, by the way, an order form and it says somewhere: "I
understand that I may return any of the books for a full refund, for any
reason, within 90 days, no questions asked".

Well, I realize this may look like I commercial but it's not. It reflects my
personal opinion, period. Maybe just one advice to finish: Who should NOT
buy this book? If you think you know everything there is to know, then do
not buy it and� please let me know so I can avoid meeting you at any price.

Michel Christiaens

wanliker@a... 2007-11-23 00:45:59 UTC Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets Michel Christiaens 2007-11-23 05:45:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets kuhncw 2007-11-23 08:06:48 UTC Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets wanliker@a... 2007-11-23 14:36:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets a3sigma 2007-11-23 17:56:07 UTC Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets Michael Fagan 2007-11-24 11:57:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Check out Machine Shop Trade Secrets