CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Which end to fix...

on 2008-01-09 18:51:35 UTC
Surprisingly, tapered roller bearings can be quite cheap, especially
if they are used in automotive applications (Small wheel bearings);
and best of all, you can adjust the play to suit your liking.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Henrik Olsson" <henrik-
olsson@...> wrote:

> Les, Jon,
>
> Thank you for your replies, just what I was hoping to hear!
>
> The ballscrews are 32mm dia, 5mm pitch, there's a 2:1
beltreduction and
> depending on what servodrive I end up with I can get between 4-8Nm
> continous from the motors which, if my math is right, will give 10-
20kN
> of thrust that the bearings will have to support (less losses).
Not that
> I think I'll need it but that's what I've got so that is why I was
> considering tapered rollerbearings.
>
> Maby I'll rebuild it in the future but for now I'll keep it as it
> is...one problem out of the way, now on to the Y-axis...
>
> Thanks guys!
> /Henrik Olsson.
>

> >Henrik Olsson wrote:
> >> High guys,
> >>

> >> Got a manual machine converted to CNC by one of its former
owners. It's not
> >> in operatable condition but I'm slowly getting there. My
question is
> >> regarding the ballscrew supports.
> >>

> >> As it is now the X-axis screw is axially fixed at the NON
driven side with
> >> two ordinary thrust ball bearings on opposite side of a
shoulder in a block.
> >> The driven side is supposed to be floating axially and
supported radially by
> >> a needle roller and either a standard deep groove ball bearing
or a roller
> >> bearing to take the load from the belt tension - at least that
is what I've
> >> been able to figure out so far.
> >>

> >> Qustions:
> >>
> >> 1) On just about every drawing I've ever seen of mounted
ballscrews the
> >> driven side is fixed and the non driven side is floating
(usually). So what
> >> are the drawbacks of having the non driven side fixed as
they've done on
> >> this machine? Can I leave it as it is or should I rebuild it so
that the
> >> driven side is fixed (if possible)?
> >>
> >I don't see any reason to change this. It really makes no
> >difference which end is fixed. The two bearings at the driven
> >end should support the screw against the belt load.
> >>

> >> 2) What about the thrust bearings? I'll probably add a deep
groove ball
> >> bearing to the fixed side to gain radial support since the
thrust bearings
> >> are meant for that but except of that, can I keep it like it is
or should I
> >> go for angular contact or tapered roller bearings as "it's
supposed to be"
> >> (means I have to fabricate new bearing blocks)? Buying special
ballscrew
> >> support bearings is not an option at the moment so if I'm
changing it'll
> >> have to do with standard 72xx series A/C's or tapered roller
bearings.
> >Tapered roller bearings seem like extreme overkill. Angular
> >contact bearings would be an improvement, but unless you luck
> >into some at surplus prices, I doubt it would be worth the
expense.

> >Jon

Discussion Thread

Henrik Olsson 2008-01-08 11:21:11 UTC Which end to fix... Leslie Newell 2008-01-08 11:51:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which end to fix... Jon Elson 2008-01-08 18:43:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which end to fix... Henrik Olsson 2008-01-08 22:19:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which end to fix... cnc002@a... 2008-01-09 11:28:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Which end to fix... Arnie Minear 2008-01-09 13:12:34 UTC Re: Which end to fix... carbonsteelsam 2008-01-09 18:51:35 UTC Re: Which end to fix...