CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rhino cad/cam

Posted by laserted007
on 2008-01-22 06:05:09 UTC
Jack -- Yup, on a daily basis, and for quite some time - I use Rhino4
and Visual Mill (it's the same, just external to Rhino); I prefer to
keep my CAM separate from my CAD so I can share models and components,
etc; RhinoCam will store your toolpaths inside (parallel to, at least)
your Rhino file itself, where Visual Mill keeps the toolpath
completely separate. Your posted G-code, is of course, always a
separate file.
I actually use it for 4-axis mill production. It works quite well and
is, for my requirements (small parts proto and decorative aluminum
pieces) quite zippy. It was a very short learning curve, compared to
say, MasterCam or GibbsCam (which I still haven't learned to my
liking), so it is my first stop for CAM processing. (I also have
SolidWorks and FeatureCam, but haven't touched them in a LONG time -
Rhino is just so quick, albiet I do miss the feature-based properties
of SolidWorks...Holes aren't always "just" voids...)...One important
thing: becoming a CAM programmer makes you a MUCH better CAD
programmer! (I've done CAD and DFM for years in production, and it
amazed me how often new "designs" came across my desk from artists
that just had no idea on manufacture...)

I post to EMC2 for my mini mill and our Mazak 410 (EIA mode). Both
controllers have no issues.
VisualMill (RhinoCam) does have a good "General" set of machining
strategies - I would have liked to see more hole/drilling options, and
I have yet to figure out how to reliably use our right-angle head with
it...aside from that, I feel the price-to-functionality just cannot be
beat (even by Bob...sorry, Bob...). Indexed 4th is ok, continuous 4th
is pretty much just engraving....

VisualMill does use a USB dongle key for licensing. I've used a lot of
them (various softwares) and have damaged a USB port on my laptop
while on an airplane due to it's extension....but that's life in a
hacked world; I'd prefer a "network checkout" type license like PTC
uses, but few CAM developers use that model.

I'm probably at the limit of what I can do with VM; I currently paste
in stock code for my rt angle head, thread milling, HS tapping, etc;
when I get tired of doing that, or need more 4th, then it will be time
to move on.
I wish it had easier odd-stock and workholding simulation, plus better
job-reporting, but those are really nit-picks. You can import an STL
model for odd stock (like a casting), and you have to "know" where
your clamps, etc are. OneCNC, OTOH, makes a job-sheet that you can
print and tape to the machine so your loader/operator knows what's
going on op-by-op - that's really handy, but not available in VM...oh
well.

If you're limited by hardware to a minimill running Mach or EMC; this
would do nicely for you. If you're in a jobshop with 3 or 4 machines
with a high-mix of jobs, it's time to start looking at OneCNC or
MasterCam again....(or any of the other multitude of pro-level apps)

Basic 5.0 is just that (if it's still available) - 2.5D and not much
more. While you can always upgrade (and the license key works for both
RhinoCam and VisualMill - your choice, just download the other prog
and install) - if you think you'll do profiling and contouring, just
get VM 6 ($999, IIRC) - however, the additional $2000 for 4th is the
real "judgement call"...

Hope this helps,

Ted.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Mc Kie"
<freshwatermodels@...> wrote:

> Is anyone using Rhinoceros and Rhino cam on a routine basis?
>
> Jack

Discussion Thread

Jack Mc Kie 2008-01-21 15:15:51 UTC Rhino cad/cam Maxi Bertotto 2008-01-21 16:19:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rhino cad/cam laserted007 2008-01-22 06:05:09 UTC Re: Rhino cad/cam Jack McKie 2008-01-22 19:32:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rhino cad/cam Jack McKie 2008-01-22 19:32:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rhino cad/cam