CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Regulatory, WH&S, electrical issues regarding cnc machines???

apples0_17 wrote:
> Regulatory, WH&S, electrical issues regarding cnc machines???
>
> Assuming one wanted to start manufacturing small cnc cutting machines.
> If they wanted to sell under a business rather that just selling as is
> on eBay etc. What regulatory and standards would such a machine have
> to be build to? Ie. electrical, I'm not a licenced electrical
> engineer or sparky, so how do I legaly make my machine compliant etc etc
>
> How what or who can give me this information?
Oh, Gawwd, you are opening up a HUGE can of worms. This is why
I don't sell a complete system. You are REQUIRED to have the
electronics tested, probably to FCC class B (home) standards.
Failure to do so subjects you to a fine of $10,000 per UNIT sold!

Secondly, you SHOULD test for safety compliance, and in this
case, both electrical safety and operational hazards. This
would be done with a recognized testing authority such as UL or ETL.
They would probably require the machine to be fully guarded with
cheat-proof safety switches like Schurter, and a classified
safety relay system. These components are hundreds of $ each,
and could easily cost more than the entire machine. This
"should" business is because it is not a federal "requirement",
but a violation of guidelines, and opens you to suit by the
owner if they get hurt. Basically, there is no classification
for the "home shop", so your machine would require the same
safety gear as a $300,000 machining center.

How this is done is you send the whole machine to them, just
like a customer, and they go over it both as a design review and
then a live test, to see if they can touch any live electrical
points, the safety system can't be cheated or defeated easily,
that the machine stops before you can get your hand in there,
and so on. Most of these facilities can do the FCC emissions
testing as well. I had this done on a little embedded computer
project some years ago for a little over $1000. The cost has
gone WAY up since, and I was only going for FCC class A testing,
as it was extremely unlikely to be used in a home. With the
mechanical angle here, I would expect this testing would run
well over $10K today, for FCC class B plus safety.

apples0_17 2008-03-27 08:29:50 UTC Regulatory, WH&S, electrical issues regarding cnc machines??? Jon Elson 2008-03-27 09:09:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Regulatory, WH&S, electrical issues regarding cnc machines??? Dave Halliday 2008-03-27 21:39:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Regulatory, WH&S, electrical issues regarding cnc machines???