CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lifting Force on a quill

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2008-03-29 12:58:31 UTC
You have to take into account the torsion spring that pulls the quill
up when you release it. Depending on the machine and configuration,
it should be a constant force spring (one that has the same force no
matter how much you pull it out) but that might not be the case. If
it is a constant force spring, you can just remove it and connect it
to an appropriate spring scale to determine the force it provides.

You are correct that a normal right hand helix endmill spinning
clockwise should pull itself into the work. The quill spring will
tend to retract it back out.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Dan Mauch <dmauch@...> wrote:

> I am working on a device to take the slop out out most mill-drill quills. I
> need to know what the formula would be for the force that the different
> cutters exhibit in lifting the quill from the desired position. It seems
> counterintuitive that a right hand end mill would be pulling downwards due
> to the helix angle of the flutes yet the end mill tend to lift upward as it
> cutting across the slot. I can imperically try different different
> counterforces but I like to engineer it based on calculations. Any idea?
> Dan Mauch
> economical 3D scanner software and kits
> low cost stepper and servo motors.
> cases for Gecko drives
> kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
> www.camtronics-cnc.com
> www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Dan Mauch 2008-03-29 12:49:16 UTC Lifting Force on a quill Michael Fagan 2008-03-29 12:58:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lifting Force on a quill