CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wish to add DRO to tube bender using rotary encoder and timing belt

on 2008-04-25 00:57:47 UTC
RS components in the uk has belts, pulleys, bearings, everything.
Bit expensive, but easy and has online ordering and prices.

You can also contact me directly.

al.swift wrote:

> Hello,
> I was hoping just to plug the encoder into a propriatory display, if
> those are too expensive then i could use an old pc. Happy to use
> largish parts as there is plenty of room. Will the type of encoder
> used for the length axis be suitable for the rotary axis?
>
> Thanks for all your info, understand most of it. Could do with
> someone from the UK recommending a good source of parts.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>, "gcode fi (hanermo)"
> <yahoog@...> wrote:
> >
> > Q: How do you plan to interface it, and to what ?
> >
> > Any quality timing belt solution will work.
> > All will have about 0.1 mm or much better accuracy - down to about
> 0.01 mm.
> >
> > If you are using mach3, for example,
> > you can just buy belts and pulleys, and encoder, and fit all
> together.
> > You can then directly input the encoder reading into mach.
> >
> > It will display it with no work.
> > With simple VB code, you can use it in a macro pump, to adjust your
> > work/bending.
> >
> > Note-
> > for good results, you must tension the belt.
> > A few bearings on tensioner pulleys and the belt in tension about
> 10 kg,
> > for 3 mm timing belt, and there you are.
> >
> > The encoder res you need depends on the diameter of pulley where it
> > contacts the belt.
> > You need 6 teeth min contact - its best to use 12 teeth pulley or
> more.
> > (Technically - it does not matter as this is a no load measuring
> > application. Practically, its hard to work with very small parts,
> shaft,
> > pulleys and teeth).
> >
> > Circumference of circle is 2 x pi x r.
> > So for say 14 teeth pulley, with 5 mm htd belt.
> > D = 0.832 in ( 21.13 mm)
> > Pitch D is = 0.877 in ( 22.27 mm)
> > So belt circumference of this pulley is 2 x pi x pitch D / 2 = pi x
> pitch D,
> > = 3.14 x 22.27 / 2 mm = 69.92 mm circumference.
> >
> > 1 degree of angle moves the belt 1 / 360 degrees * circumference.
> > = 69.92 mm / 360 = 0.194 mm.
> > So a 1 degree or 360 quadrature count encoder resolves to this
> resolution.
> > So a 1 degree quadrature encoder, or 90 count (360 / 4 = 90 counts
> or
> > lines) would give you about 0.19 mm resolution.
> >
> > To achieve a given accuracy, you should generally count and resolve
> > about 4 x theoretical resolution.
> > Small res encoders from US digital, between 100 - 300 counts, have
> the
> > same cost.
> > So a 200 lines encoder will give you the needed accuracy.
> > Your speed and sampling rate is low - as bending will take seconds
> > (compared to resolving a servo running at 5000 rpm) therefore you
> do not
> [...]

Discussion Thread

al.swift 2008-04-24 00:11:39 UTC Wish to add DRO to tube bender using rotary encoder and timing belt gcode fi (hanermo) 2008-04-24 01:34:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wish to add DRO to tube bender using rotary encoder and timing belt al.swift 2008-04-24 15:39:02 UTC Re: Wish to add DRO to tube bender using rotary encoder and timing belt gcode fi (hanermo) 2008-04-25 00:57:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wish to add DRO to tube bender using rotary encoder and timing belt