CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE???????

Posted by denis
on 2008-04-29 20:23:37 UTC
Have you ever considered running Freedos as an operatiing system? It might be
a solution and it is unencumbered with licensing, comes fully loaded with
modern enhancements, like editors, packet driver, cdrom driver, etc. I use it
on all my dos control programs - works great. For a clean install run Dban on
the hard disk first to delete everyting.
cheers,
Denis

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 11:21:06 Peter Reilley wrote:
> There may be a problem with DOS or Win95 and plug-in PCI parallel
> port cards. I suspect that DOS and Win95 will assume that the port is
> at address 0x378 for the primary port and 0x278 for the secondary port.
> No PCI cards can exist at these addresses. The built in parallel port
> is at the standard address.
>
> In those days applications often wrote directly to the parallel port
> addresses
> without using a device driver. Unless the application allows you to enter
> any
> address for the parallel port then you will be out of luck using PCI.
>
> If you need a second parallel port then you are not completely screwed,
> they do still make systems with both PCI and ISA slots. They may be
> a little hard to find but they do exist.
>
> Pete.

Discussion Thread

mycncworld 2008-04-29 09:22:29 UTC PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE??????? David L. Foreman 2008-04-29 09:37:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE??????? Peter Reilley 2008-04-29 11:10:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE??????? denis 2008-04-29 20:23:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE??????? Jon Elson 2008-04-29 20:52:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCI PARALLEL PORT CARDS FOR DOS CONTROLLER SOFTWARE???????