CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Information needed for Mannesmann Talley 57SHM-46BAB Steppers

rcptarc wrote:
> I just acquired 4 Mannesmann Talley 57SHM-46BAB Steppers and recieved
> limited information on them.
> What I got was the following: 17.5 Ohm coil, 1.8 degrees step, 6 wire.
> What I need is operating voltage, current and torque specs...
BAD news! These are VERY high resistance steppers. If they are
reasonably large, like size 34, they are practically useless.
If very small, they are at least functional for their size.

The problem is high resistance goes hand in hand with high
inductance, meaning they will only operate at very low speeds,
a few hundred RPM, even running Gecko drives at 80 V.

I see there seem to be a lot of these on the surplus market for
about $7, there's a reason they are going for such a low price.
These are probably out of a printer, and not much good for a
machine tool. A typical "good" size 26 stepper motor will have
a couple Ohms per coil, max, and several amps per phase. 4 amps
and 2 V (indicating a HALF Ohm resistance) is a good figure.
These motors are probably rated at (very roughly) 1/2 Amp per
phase and about 8 V, but that is a total guess.

rcptarc 2008-07-31 13:04:21 UTC Information needed for Mannesmann Talley 57SHM-46BAB Steppers Jon Elson 2008-07-31 19:27:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Information needed for Mannesmann Talley 57SHM-46BAB Steppers