CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled?

Posted by wotisname
on 2008-12-12 15:45:01 UTC
Hi,

I have a book here that deals with building a coil and using it to
magnatize the ignition components of a Ford Model T, not exactly a
new machine using modern materials. It states that half of the
magnetic force is lost if a keeper is not connected across the magnet
before removing it from the magnetizing coil. If the keeper is not
used the magnet will not generate enough force to make a spark for
the plugs.

It has been my experience the more powerful the magnet, using modern
materials, the more marked the loss of power removing it from the
coil without a keeper.

I have a magnetic chuck which I took to bits and just takin out the
magnets and putting them back made the chuck useless. I will be
building a coil soon to remagnetize them and make sure I use a keeper
to move them from the electro-magnetic coil and while refitting in
the chuck.

I have no interest in getting into the physics I just know it happens
and why.

Regards, Terry

> I don't understand. Keepers are there to prevent demagnetization
that
> takes months or years... and the modern materials like neodymium do
not
> self-demagnetize like the old stuff.
>
> Danny
>
> wotisname wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The reason is very simple. Magnets need a keeper plate to stay
> > magnetized, some magnets loose their magnetism quicker than
others
> > dependent on the material they are made from. When you open a
stepper
> > motor you destroy the keeper which in this case is the motor
armature
> > and casing and half the magnetium effectively escapes, a bit like
> > letting the smoke out of electronic components when you blow them
up:-)

> > Regards, Terry

Discussion Thread

Yahoo 2008-12-12 09:31:53 UTC Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? wotisname 2008-12-12 09:47:06 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Danny Miller 2008-12-12 11:32:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? wotisname 2008-12-12 15:45:01 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Yahoo 2008-12-12 16:31:58 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? John Dammeyer 2008-12-12 16:58:18 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Jim Register 2008-12-12 17:15:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? carbonsteelsam 2008-12-13 10:26:52 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Denis Casserly 2008-12-13 10:43:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Mike 2008-12-13 10:45:51 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Denis Casserly 2008-12-13 10:56:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Nigel F Misso 2008-12-13 16:31:09 UTC magnets was [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? zs6bxi 2008-12-13 22:59:40 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Mike 2008-12-14 06:21:01 UTC Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled? Dave Sage 2008-12-14 07:47:17 UTC RE: magnets was [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Why do stepper motors lose their magnetism when disassembled?