CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder count selection for G320

on 2009-02-14 19:20:39 UTC
Denis Casserly wrote:

>HI Art,
>thanks for the info, that's just what I was hunting. I looked for Turbocnc
>maximum step pulse rate but can't find it. I will try posting in CNCPRO and
>EMC2 user groups also unless I find the max step pulse rate for them too.

I don't know what the limit for TurboCNC is. I think it's CPU dependent
though, so there may not be a single number that they could publish
(other than "about 500 kHz" which is the absolute limit the average
parallel port can handle)

As for EMC2, it also has no set limit - the actual limit will be
dependent on the PC you run it on. Note that faster CPUs don't always
translate to higher step rates. There are a lot of factors that
influence timing in a PC. The best thing to do is download the EMC2
liveCD from <http://www.linuxcnc.org/> (download link on the left
side). This is a bootable CD that you can use to test computers,
without installing to the hard drive first.

As a ballpark number, I'll say that most PCs can handle 50kHz stepping,
and you may be able to get into the 100 kHz range with the right PC
hardware. Also note that there are PCI and parallel-connected devices
(starting at $79, going up to $250 or so) which can increase the step
rate into the MHz range, far beyond what any motor driver is likely to
support. Some of these devices can also generate PWM output (for analog
spindle control or some servos alongside your steppers) and have encoder
inputs, which can significantly increase the resolution and speed of
spindle feedback and/or position tracking.

- Steve