CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !!

Posted by whitey
on 2009-03-02 19:04:27 UTC
Bill thank you very much for answering.For sure I would only be doing metal.
Bill if you would like I world be happy to call you. with a few questions. Just send Ph# and best time to call. My email.
whanson@...
----- Original Message -----
From: William Thomas
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 2:59 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !!

Hi Mr. Harson:(and all)
You have came to the right place for help. These fellows are the best for helping of about
four group I visit. I am sorry I can not tell you a good book that covers it all. Here is a starting
point.
1) Think about what type of material you will be machining. Wood and plastic takes less
power then metal to push a cutter through the material on the same depth cut.
2) In the opposite respect wood and plastic usually cut faster so the feed rate is greater for
them then metal.
3) Consider the fastest spindle speed you have and try just cutting different materials at the feed
you expect to cut at when machining with CNC. Time the cuts to get and idea of you feed
rate in inches or MM per minutes. If you use a fish scale to pull on the handle as you cut you
can measure how much force it is taking to feed the table.
4) When you have done these tests you can come back with the information and these fellow can
tell you a lot more of what you need.
HINT: Once you start machining with CNC you will usually machine at a faster rate then you did
manually so add about 50% to you power and feed rate you do manually. To consider the
max. feed rate consider the chip load on you largest cutter with the most teeth times the
max. spindle speed. This will be your max. feed rate limit.
GOD'S BLESSINGS
Bill
P.S. Age in not a limit. I will be 73 this month and have been machining for 57 years. 46 years with NC and CNC.

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 03:19:02 -0000, hanson_whitey wrote
> Hi fellows need som advise. Could anyone recomend a book for the real
> novice.That will explain how to convert a manual mill(with Ballscrews)
> to a cnc. And explaines about the diffrent motors.etc.etc.I believe I
> am capable of makeing any nounting parts etc that I might need. And
> for sure at 72 and on Social Security and a little senile. Smile I
> have got to watch the dollars.Thanking you in advance for any help or
> advice. Whitey

hanson_whitey 2009-03-01 20:04:17 UTC Help !! William Thomas 2009-03-02 01:59:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !! whitey 2009-03-02 19:04:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !! Danny Miller 2009-03-02 20:04:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !! whitey 2009-03-03 02:49:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help !!