CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] gecko 320 filter capacitor values

Posted by dannym@a...
on 2009-03-04 20:52:23 UTC
Well, like I say- the ESR is a commonly neglected/misunderstood factor.

In fact, probably the majority of consumer electronics failures (TV,VCR, etc) are due to caps whose ESR has grown too high. The ripple increases, the voltage spikes too high, and this may result in a burned out transistor too. The prob is, going for "overkill" low ESR with high reliability can be prohibitively expensive for consumer apps. So they make what they can and move on. That is, cap ESR rating/reliability is often the compromise that ultimately results in the product's death.

The mfg spec sheet should always state ESR/ripple rating. You'll probably find something an inch long with the diameter of a quarter might have a 1A-2A ripple rating.

Capacitors cannot be cooled with the same kind of effectiveness that transistors can. The problem is the heat is generated throughout the capacitor body and it is not extremely good at conducting the heat to the outside, even if the outside is an exposed metal can without a plastic covering. The outside could be fan-cooled with cold air to 75F while the very middle of the cap is 100F. However, the cap will still be better off than turning off the fan and letting the outside rise to 100F. Then the center might be 125F.

Danny