CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Keeping heat sinks on chips???

Posted by dannym@a...
on 2009-04-23 09:37:45 UTC
I wouldn't, not if we're talking power driver. AFAIK no potting epoxy provides a decent thermal conduction coefficient for a power driver. Then there's all sorts of issues. Electrolytic caps swell over time for example, but the epoxy provides no room for expansion.

If it's some kind of controller, the "meat" is all in the microcontroller/FPGA anyways. Microcontrollers provide fairly robust methods for protecting the code. Actually most mfgs simply brush off the labels on the chips which makes it very difficult to reverse engineer. Small SMD packages are unlabeled by nature and while someone can measure the capacitance on a cap meter, the dielectric type and breakdown voltage are harder to discern.

Code protection can be defeated, and there's actually ways to dissolve the potting epoxy leaving the components unharmed. They're pretty "extreme" though. No offense but typically I see people asking about them have circuits which could be designed independently for less trouble than trying to crack code protection. The guy who's trying to figure out what the cap voltage was could do it a lot faster by just looking at what the driver does and rating it for a new design.

Some people have actually used techniques of adding fake components and traces. In fact, IIRC there's a company making dummy components somewhere. This is really funny, adding a fake diode in yours that is actually an "open" but will short out someone else's copy when they put in a real one.

Danny