CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers

Posted by David Speck
on 2009-04-23 19:42:06 UTC
I suspect that this a capacitor resonant voltage regulating transformer
(constant voltage transformer).

Sola used to make lots of these to provide a degree of voltage regulation.

If you Google constant voltage transformer, you may get some help. I'm
not sure how you would experimentally determine the cap value. THe
transformer may be usable at low current output without the cap, but you
may have saturation issues if you try to run it near its max rated wattage.

Dave

dcassyc1 wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a DEC power transformers which uses an oil filled capacitor on one of the windings, I suppose to provide Power Factor correction. The capacitor is missing and I don't know what value it should be.
> Is there a method I can use to determine the capacitor value?
> Is it possible to use this transformer without the capacitor?
> cheers,
> Denis

Discussion Thread

dcassyc1 2009-04-23 19:35:03 UTC using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers David Speck 2009-04-23 19:42:06 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Jon Elson 2009-04-23 22:08:46 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Doug Pollard 2009-04-24 20:58:53 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Andy Wander 2009-04-25 06:50:37 UTC RE: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Jon Elson 2009-04-25 08:31:05 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Wreno Wynne 2009-04-25 10:33:22 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Denis Casserly 2009-04-25 10:38:04 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers Jon Elson 2009-04-25 20:33:49 UTC Re: From Member: using Digital Equipment Corp Transformers