CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Control Software Vs Control Hardware

on 2010-03-02 11:39:02 UTC
You are correct with your understanding.

Here is a controller that reads the G-code directly and controls the
machine;
http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/product/cnc/index.html

The problem is that they are generally quite pricey. So most hobbyists use a
PC to do the same thing using CNCpro, EMC, or other. Some people have used
micro's to build their own g-code interpreter/controllers.

There is an industry standard for g-code, RS274, but every manufacturer has
some specifics for their own machine, and so there is no absolute standard.

Here's a starting point in terms of links..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control

Regards
Roland

On 2 March 2010 18:08, Sandeep Jindal <sandeep138@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am very new to this exiting world of CNC machines and is determined to
> create something good from it.
>
> I have a question on Control Software Vs Control Hardware. I am setting the
> context before jumping to actual questions:
>
> My Understanding:
> 1. CAD: Designing in computer. Input is Mind, Output is a Design File e.g.
> dxf, etc
> 2. CAM: Converts the design in machine code and the
> industry standard is G-Code. Thus input is design File, output is
> G-Code (or some other code)
> 3. Control Software: A software that converts the Machine Language/Code
> into the actual signals that your control hardware would understand.
> e.g. EMC2, Mach, etc.
> From a software perspective, this control
> software is a device driver. EMC2, Mach3 acts as the control
> software/device driver where in you configure the properties of device
> which is your control hardware.
> 4. Control Hardware: The hardware that understands the input singnals from
> Computer ('s parallel port/serial port, etc) and gives the instruction to
> actual machine to process.
> 5. The Actual Machine
>
> My confusion is between Control Software and Control Hardware. I have read
> somewhere that
> there are Hardware Controllers that directly read the GCode. These
> electronic controllers take input from Parallel port and process based on
> the input GCode.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is my understanding of Control Software and Control Hardware correct?
> 2. If there are Hardwares that can understand GCode, and software too which
> process GCode to machine signals(EMC2, Mach3, etc), then what is the
> industry standard.
> 3. If both are possible, can you please suggest/refer to link which can
> guide me which approach to use?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Sandeep Jindal

Sandeep Jindal 2010-03-02 09:21:01 UTC Control Software Vs Control Hardware David G. LeVine 2010-03-02 10:56:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Control Software Vs Control Hardware Roland Jollivet 2010-03-02 11:39:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Control Software Vs Control Hardware