CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: plasma vs mill/router cnc

on 2010-06-13 12:10:45 UTC
if you are looking for cheap-cheap-cheap you can work up a simple table with bed frames !

Plasma does not really require the precision of linear bearings and such.

Many people have used an inverted angle iron slide with 45 degree bearings to ride on it. super simple.

the beauty of the cheap-cheap method is that you can modify it as you please.

If you are good with welding and drilling and grinding, you can make pretty decent ways to roll on.

A full step up is to use Bishop-Wisecarver style bearings available from a few sources.

You can grind your own angles into angle iron to make your own ways. for plasma, this would work great.

Even the Z axis is simple since you do not have to deal with the forces that machining and wood carving have to.

one suggestion. put your cutter head on a spring secured-break away bracket so that in the event it hits something, it comes loose !

again, super simple.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ebiz_59" <chuckm@...> wrote:

> We have a farm shop that is pretty well equipped with plasma cutter, several welders, a Bridgeport mill, a couple lathes - none of which are cnc'd. I've been thinking about building a CNC router, or buying/retrofitting a mill, for a long time. But actually think a CNC plasma might be most useful to us. However, I am cheap. I'm thinking a plasma cnc gantry would be pretty easy (cheap) to build - don't need perfect ways, a small amount of backlash is probably livable, the torque requirements shouldn't be significant, and I already have a decent plasma cutter (although I read that e high frequency start might be an issue). What am I missing? Shouldn't this be easy?? thanks in advance, Chuck

Discussion Thread

ebiz_59 2010-06-11 23:18:11 UTC plasma vs mill/router cnc Danny Miller 2010-06-12 00:08:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs mill/router cnc Chuck Merja 2010-06-12 06:05:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs mill/router cnc Roland Jollivet 2010-06-12 07:08:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs mill/router cnc Bob Campbell 2010-06-12 07:27:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs mill/router cnc Mike Payson 2010-06-12 10:12:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] plasma vs mill/router cnc turbulatordude 2010-06-13 12:10:45 UTC Re: plasma vs mill/router cnc