CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LCD screen heads up Update

Posted by Will Holding
on 2010-10-22 05:44:21 UTC
Are you guys talking about that $59 screen? Just buy five of them and be done with it! there are two components to backlighting, the CCFL tube and the driver. But for a $59 replacement, worrying about *if* it breaks is kinda silly, isn't it?

The only touch screen I tried to use is a 7" Lilliput model made for cars I think. It's a 1024x768 resolution touch screen and my idea was to make a pendant that would have its own soft configurable screens for different operations.

Unfortunately, the touch screen part is a glass plate that is loose and sloppy, and once I shimmed the slop out of it in the case it stopped working (probably too much pressure on the darn thing) so I abandoned that idea.

I currently use a USB wireless keyboard with a trackball under the left thumb area (top left of KB) and this works pretty well for me. The reciever is mounted to the monitor arm on the side of my mill, which holds a 17" LCD monitor (no touch screen). I also use a pendant control, although I do most of my moves via MDI in Mach.

-Will

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrewdavid.mathison
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 8:05 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LCD screen heads up Update

Dear Dave Halliday

Maybe easy to replace on some screens, but not all.

I have a screen that is almost impossible to replace them (and the manufacturer does not apparently supply spares) physically and I have looked at a Toshiba and a Dell laptop that are as good as impossible to replace for a normal person. The whole (expensive) screen needs to be replaced, not just the tubes (very delicate by the way...)

I can supply photos of the Dell screen if anyone is interested to show what needs to be done......I can also make pictures of the Belinea screen too as I have not yet disposed of it.....

May I suggest that before buying a screen (or a laptop) second hand, that any of you investigate both the availability of spares and the ease of replacing them. Some are simply too difficult.....

Naturally, this still does not fix the mercury problem of such screens either........you have all been warned......don't be caught out unknowingly...

...and if you are buying new, make sure its backlit with LEDs......they are no more expensive than with tubes......funnily enough!!

Greetings from

Andy Mathison

Andrewdavid.mathison 2010-10-22 05:05:37 UTC LCD screen heads up Update Will Holding 2010-10-22 05:44:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LCD screen heads up Update