CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper Motor Shielding

on 2000-08-14 11:20:33 UTC
Hi,

What I recommend is you use a 5-wire shielded cable. Here's how it
works. 4 wires go to the motor windings of course. The 5th wire is
connected to the motor case. Connect the other end to your power
supply ground, near the drive if possible. Connect the shield braid
to ground at the same location where you ground the 5th wire. DO NOT
connect the motor end of the shield anywhere. Leave it floating. This
will keep the motor wires from interfering electrically (noise) with
anything else.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, William Scalione <scalione@h...>
wrote:
> I am going to shield the motor wiring on a stepper system
> with some braided shielding. This will be done mostly for
> neatness and physical protection of the wires, but as long as
> I'm doing it, I was wondering if each pair should be
> shielded separately or can all four wires be enclosed in
> the same bundle. I am running about 5A per phase. I already
> have the control wires shielded and seperate from the motor
> wiring
>

> Thanks Bill

Discussion Thread

William Scalione 2000-08-14 10:54:14 UTC Stepper Motor Shielding Mariss Freimanis 2000-08-14 11:20:33 UTC Re: Stepper Motor Shielding