CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Steele CNC conversion plans and kit

Posted by fly_sailor
on 2011-06-12 16:49:26 UTC
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Charlie

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <freshwatermodels@...> wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> I used the SS plans to convert my minimill. I used the Z axis timing belt and it works fine. Other schemes I considered don't apply force properly and one can induce twist of the head.
>
> Don't expect to get very much accuracy from your mini-mill unless you use ball screws on the x-y axes. The screw/nut in the mini-mill is pretty sloppy and is best replaced with 5/8" ball screws. It requires you to hog out the bottom of the table a bit but is doable.
>
> Google hoss minimill and he has a lot of info on that conversion.
>
> I also added some oil ways to get oil on the x-y dovetails sinc it is really important to lubricate the ways. I just slop some oil on the z ways.
>
> I used transportation grade ball screws and get about .002" accuracy or sometimes better.
>
> I just finished cnc millng out some 1:13.7 scale model locomotive wheels. Took a long time, 5 hrs for 4 wheels but it would have taken much longer (days?) if done manually.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jack
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "fly_sailor" <cdfly@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been on this group for a few months, but just looking around mostly. I have completed the initial setup of a small machine shop in my garage. I have a 7x14 Micro Mark lathe and a Micro Mark mini mill. I plan to convert both to CNC sometime late this year or early next year when the finances have recovered slightly since I operate strictly on a cash basis.
> >
> > I've looked at the Steele conversion plan site.
> >
> > http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html
> >
> > My only criticism of the design is the belt drive used for the z-axis. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion of the X2 mill? In particular, how much backlash does the belt introduce?
> >
> > Thanks for you trouble,
> >
> > Charlie

Discussion Thread

fly_sailor 2011-06-11 11:15:26 UTC Steele CNC conversion plans and kit Tony Smith 2011-06-11 11:29:55 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Steele CNC conversion plans and kit Jack 2011-06-11 12:13:41 UTC Re: Steele CNC conversion plans and kit fly_sailor 2011-06-12 16:49:26 UTC Re: Steele CNC conversion plans and kit