CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] sourcing miniature epicylics/planetarys

Posted by R. T. Robbins
on 2000-08-16 23:15:00 UTC
At 06:47 PM 8/16/00 -0600, you wrote:

>re: minature epicyclics for rack-and-pinion to rotary encoder
>
>Accuracy of gear-on-rotary encoders running along a rack
>can be improved perhaps by mounting a miniature epicyclic
>between the encoder and gear (to increase the encoder shaft
>rotation relative to the gear rotation).

Almost any of the methods you will try will work, but you will increase
complexity and cost. There are a couple of easier methods to increase
resolution.
1: Increase the number of slots in the encoder. I assume you are already
using a four count detector circuit. The easiest way.
2: Take out the switching schmidt trigger circuit in the encoder, add a
gain conrtol circuit in its place and use analog to digital conversion to
get more resoultion from y;our encoder, another hard way.

Ted

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2000-08-16 18:00:47 UTC sourcing miniature epicylics/planetarys R. T. Robbins 2000-08-16 23:15:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] sourcing miniature epicylics/planetarys