CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] upgrade Centroid CNC4

on 2012-01-27 04:09:18 UTC
Chuck,

I use a CNC4 on an Excello knee mill. I don't think you can get around the
CNC software and use MACH3 to input to it. It will take G code through
Cencomm as you said but I know of no other way to interface to it. Your
system is a stepper system right? The CNC4 is a 8 amp stepper control system
and you could use the 80 volt power supply from CNC4 and put Gecko stepper
drivers in it and run the whole thing off MACH3. If your CNC4 is running
good you might be able to sell it and buy the Geckos for about the same
cost, then add the computer, breakout box, MACH3,and power supply and you
are up and running.

I am gettting tired of the limitations of the CNC4 and plan to this this
upgrade myself. I originally wanted to go into the CNC4 controller and see
if I could find a place to inject step and direction commands. It looks
like the stepper drivers in the CNC4 share part of the controller functions
so there may not be a simple interface to inject step and direction.

I think it will be MUCH easier to just use Geckos and get rid of the CNC4.

Let me know how this goes. If anyone else out there has knowledge of the
CNC4 please write in. I believe what I have said is true but I have been
wrong so many times on this CNC stuff.

John C