CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] sourcing miniature epicylics/planetarys

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-08-17 02:17:37 UTC
Hi Doug,

If you are going to use something like this you should perhaps think
carefully about the backlash and its effect on the accuracy of the readout.
Remember, whether straightforward or epicyclic, each gear in a train has
some 'freedom' which must be takem up when the gear train reverses
direction - the more gears, the more backlash and the more inaccurate the
final reading. Under 'very' light loads as in driving an encoder, some of
this may be masked by using a heavy grease in the gearbox but, as soon as
there is any drag on the shafts, all the backlash will come into play as the
'freedoms' are taken up and this will give an unpredicatable inaccuracy.
Have you considered the possibility of using belts and pulleys? They would
take up a little more space but by having a couple of parallel shafts and
putting several sets of small to large pulleys free running on these you can
get an increase in ratio without backlash. Flat belts are also better than
toothed.
___ _____
| | | |
in | | ___| |