CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sealed Keyboards - Update

Posted by beer@s...
on 2000-08-17 09:42:16 UTC
On 17 Aug, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:17:32 -0700
> From: Jon Anderson <janders@...>
> Subject: Re: Sealed Keyboards - Update
>
> Hans,
>
> The issue, for me, is not moisture, it's chips getting under the keys
> through the gaps between the keys and preventing a full keystroke.
> I can be pretty particular about "feel" and don't like the feel of
> keyboard covers, thus started looking around for alternatives. Fast
> running out of those however...

Find an older IBM keyboard, from the PS/2 days ( 1985 ) to a couple of
years ago. ( New ones are the same junk as everything else, but
the old ones ... ) These keyboards do have a certain "feel" some like
it, some don't, I happen to love it.

More importantly, the design of the keys is such that about 3/8" of an
inch of liquid would have to be spilled before actually getting to the
contact mechanism - there is a short "tower" for with each key, with
the keycap having a long plunger on it.

There's NO way chips can get to the working bits in normal use.
However, you may have to vacuum the chips away - inverting the keyboard
to spill them out will likely cause some chips to fall where they
shouldn't.

Most importantly, even at the limit of a key's travel, there's still a
fair bit of room between the bottom of the key and the base. A fair
bit of swarf can get in there without affecting "feel".

This explanation is poor, I know. Just find one and pry a keycap off.
You'll see immediately.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-08-17 09:42:16 UTC Re: Sealed Keyboards - Update