CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

The big question is WHY, would you even bother today?

Posted by Armilite@a...
on 2012-02-28 08:37:16 UTC
Dave:

The point about MAC's having USB today, is they can use USB based
Controllers today. There are/were many options, they have/had PC cards that plug
into a MAC motherboard (hardware solution) that have a Parallel Port, they
have/had Software solutions that emulate the Parallel port through the Serial
port. I use to run IBM Parallel laser printers with my MAC with a Serial to
Parallel cable. I have a friend that runs MACs that does Plastic Injection
Molds, so don't tell me It can't be done. Last I knew, he used and older
version of SurfCAM for MAC.

Like I said, WHY, would you even bother today? With PCs dirt cheap, and
with some PC CAD/CAM Software really cheap today. The PC would be a more
logical choice, and cheaper, but you can still do it on a MAC. Point is, Do you
really want to be hunting for MAC Software/Parts/Hardware to do it, or
making PARTS using a Cheap PC? If your intelligent enough, to run a MAC, you
sure as heck can run a PC to.

There is even really cheap CNC tools today, if you really look around
today. If your really serious about it. But it takes some, Time & Effort & $$$
on your part. Most people want it handed to them on a silver plater for
Free. It's called Procrastination!!! Don't just Lurk here for years, make a
list of to do items, and then DO IT! Set a goal!!!

What Computer System am I going to use, MAC or IBM?
What are you going to really make, make a list of those things?
What have you already designed, really put on paper or in CAD all these
years?
What MAC/PC CAD software will do what I need?
What MAC/PC CAM software will do what I need?
How Big a machine do I really need to make these type of parts?
What Power source or options do I have available at my home/shop?
What is my real budget $$$?
Can I build my own Controller or do I need to buy one off ebay/net, etc.?
Am I making these parts for myself/friends, or to maybe sell some also.
One project/idea to sell, may pay for all your Software/Equipement.

Just to name a few things. Also, you have to be realistic in your goals, be
honest with your self.

Just My Opinion
Rich Gillen

=
2b. Re: The big question is WHY, would you even bother today?
Posted by: "David G. LeVine" dlevine@... sirdave144
Date: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm ((PST))

On 02/25/2012 08:00 PM, Armilite@... wrote:
> The big question is WHY, would you even bother today? Macs have been
using
> USB ports for many years. There are Serial to Parallel converters, and I
> think there is Serial to USB converters also, and vice versa.

Because the USB to parallel converters have latency issues, even if they
can be "bit banged", so MACs are a no-go for the controller.

Dave 8{)

Armilite@a... 2012-02-25 17:00:39 UTC The big question is WHY, would you even bother today? David G. LeVine 2012-02-25 18:54:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] The big question is WHY, would you even bother today? Armilite@a... 2012-02-28 08:37:16 UTC The big question is WHY, would you even bother today?