CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software

on 2000-08-17 16:07:09 UTC
Jon,

What do you know about the Parallel an Serial ports on the PCI I/O
cards? I had written directly to the old DOS port addresses, but a new
system (all PCI slots) put the a new card's Serial ports at COM 5 & 6,
and I have no idea where the addresses are. Same for the Parallel.
Makes it hard to do CNC on a new machine. Windoz98 doesn't help much,
either.

We should be able to access ports (normal ones, anyway) through a DOS
window on Windoz98.

Alan

Jon Elson wrote:

> Mark Ehle wrote:
>
> > Hello -
> >

> > I downloaded the MasterCNC software and tried to run it on a laptop
> > loaded
> > with win2k. It came up with a IO port error. Is that because of the
> > OS, or
> > because I have no hardware hooked up to the printer port, or what?
>
> I don't know the specifics, but NT and 2000 at least (Win98, too,
> probably) do not normally
> let programs have control of the physical parallel port. They are
> supposed to access it
> through a printer driver, which is fine if you are using the port for a
> printer. If you are
> using the port for a license key ("dongle"), PROM programmer or other
> device, you
> generally are supposed to provide a vxd (virtual device driver) for that
> purpose.
> Some systems allow DOS style access to the device after some security
> features
> have been turned off, or priveledges given to the user or program that
> needs the
> special access. Other systems don't allow it, period.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2000-08-17 11:59:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software Mark Ehle 2000-08-17 12:28:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software hans 2000-08-17 13:14:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software Jon Elson 2000-08-17 15:21:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-08-17 16:07:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Windows CNC Software