CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] home page photo

Posted by Nelson Collar
on 2013-09-13 18:08:09 UTC
It depends on the group how active they are. Some of my groups are just as active as normal, maybe more. But to top 1200 messages in one month is rather hard to do.
Nelson Collar

From: John Dammeyer <johnd@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 8:24 PM
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] home page photo

I wouldn’t go that far just yet but I can understand why Yahoo is doing this. I look at the number of messages I get from the various groups and I see a trend that’s been happening for a few years now. People aren’t using email as much as they used to. I may get only a few emails per day that are related to the Yahoo groups.

I think more and more most are going to the web based forums. Back with slow network links and PCs email made sense because using a web browser mail list was painful at times. The down side of the email forums was that massive amount of junk mail that was targeted at list users.

So now we have faster PCs and faster networks and the web based forums are everywhere. So like rec.crafts.metalworking the original Yahoo mail list oriented group is probably gone. The Facebook model that has much better access to user web cookies and user behaviour creates a better advertising model.

And make no mistake. Yahoo, Facebook etc. are not service organizations. Like TV programs, what they provide is just the space between the commercials. That we tolerate infomercials on television shows that sometimes you don’t even need the space between commercials to have people watch.

John Dammeyer