CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Real time operating systems

Posted by psp@x...
on 1999-06-18 08:35:32 UTC
At 07:25 PM 6/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From: Mike Romine <mromine@...>
Wouldn't it
>be fairly simple to create a FIFO memory buffer between the computer and
>motor controller such that it buffers motion commands from a
>non-realtime computer and issues them in real time? The FIFO would not
>even need to be very deep if you had a feedback to the computer to tell
>it "I'm full now, stop transmitting".

Interesting idea, Mike. You would also want some direct, non-queued control
of motor on/off for emergencies, hardwired to a panic stop routine. It begs
the question of why real-time control is needed when we're talking to a
servo controller board, which I thought would (or could be made to) handle
the real time requirements.

Phil Plumbo

Discussion Thread

Mike Romine 1999-06-17 19:25:18 UTC Real time operating systems Tim Goldstein 1999-06-17 22:20:57 UTC Re: Real time operating systems psp@x... 1999-06-18 08:35:32 UTC Re: Real time operating systems