CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How to ...repeat home position...honeywell ss441A

Posted by dave engvall
on 2000-08-28 17:57:25 UTC
ballendo@... wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Can you tell us more about how you're using these hall sensors?
> What magnet are you using? Distances/ speeds? With the repeatability
> you're getting, I am sure others are interested too!
>
> BTW, the honeywell product spec is at:
>
> http://catalog.sensing.honeywell.com/datasheet.asp?FAM=solidstate&PN=S
> S441A
>
> They are on pg.1064 of Newark catalog 117. 1(800)463-9275 $2.66ea.
>
> Looking forward to your answer.
>
> Ballendo

Now that I've opened my mouth:
I posted something about 3 wks ago that gave the details.
I've only done testing so far but plan to use them for limit switches. Since they are simply 3 terminal devices with a pullup on
the output I should be able to OR them together and do an estop if any one of them trips. They were tested by clamping on my mill;
i.e. I clamped one of the leads to the device in the mill vice. Superglued a magnet to a 0.250" pin and mounted in the collet. (
You know....really sophisticated) Speeds were slow....since I'm not under computer control yet I crept up on it manually....about
the same way I would with an edge finder. Got repeatablility of 0.0002" which is the limit of my resolution. (Accu-rite glass
scale). With the approx 5/16" x 1/2" ceramic magnets I was using there was a definite fall off in sensitivity at about .4" ( 10 mm
). I have a mount made from Al made and plan to embed them in epoxy. Will shoot for .15" clearance between the magnet and the
device.

If any one is using these please post your experiences. :-)

Dave