CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Accuslide was "Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software"

on 2000-08-29 13:13:44 UTC
Jon,

I understand what you're saying. Why Upgrade didn't do some of these
things is a mystery. It's not like my machine was serial number 1.
They've made several thousand of these. As I get some time I'm going
to give a serious look at some kind of motor protection. As it is
now the machine is running 6 days a week so there's not much idle
time for such things.

All in all, the Accuslide and Fagor control have some negatives, but
it's a money maker. Now I'm thinking of another one, haven't decided
whether to go slide/retrofit version again or stand alone machine.

Thanks,

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:

> I'm guessing the real problem here is not current limit, but
overcurrent
> shutdown
> of the entire system, including spindle drive and all servo axes.
In
> other words,
> any amp going into fault status should cause an emergency stop
> condition.
> All you need is a relay contact in each amp, which practically all
of
> them have.
>
> This is a real safety issue, as a runaway servo axis can be a
> heart-stopping
> event! I put a doubly fail-safe emergency stop system on my
mill. It
> not only
> notifies the CPU to go to e-stop, but commands all servo amps to
shut
> off,
> and then interrupts servo power to the amps. The E-stop system can
be
> tripped by manual switches, the computer detecting an out of
position
> condition, or any amp getting an overcurrent. Even though the amps
have

> a current limit, a sudden transient, such as a crash, encoder
> malfunction
> or some other disturbance can upset the fine balance of the servo
loops
> and cause motor current to rise very rapidly.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-08-29 12:45:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Accuslide was "Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software" dougrasmussen@c... 2000-08-29 13:13:44 UTC Accuslide was "Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software" ptengin@a... 2000-08-31 03:25:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Accuslide was "Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software"