CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Mill/Drill

on 1999-06-22 10:37:49 UTC
I'm not sure I would agree "all" Asian machines are of poor quality. Jet
and Acra seem to be quite good. You have to strike a balance, a worn out
Bridgeport vs. a new Taiwanese machine. Both are going to require some work
to make them CNC suitable. Both may cost about the same.

Some folks say avoid Harbor Freight, as they reportedly have poor quality
Asian machines.

I guess you could qualify it this way (this is a generalization, and may not
always hold) , Taiwanese machines are better than Chinese, Chinese are
better than Indian.

I bought a reconditioned Bridgeport about 5 years ago, It still had a lot of
backlash so I opted to spend about $1,000 for ballscrews. I still had about
.003 backlash, until I loaded the bearings. Now I have a very tight machine.

Some of the detail work on the Asian machines needs help, an article in Home
Shop Machinist addressed some of that. (New hand wheels, replacing the gib
locks, etc).

It seems we all like Bridgeports and Bridgeport clones, but if I had it to
do over again, I probably would have saved my money and looked for a used
Cincinnati, for a manual mill, I expect CNC conversion of a Cincinnati would
be a major undertaking.

Linc

Leighton M. (Linc) Reed-Nickerson
Broadcast Technology US