CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DRO-101: SPC for CNC?

Tom Simpson wrote:

> I note that Shars and a few others are now selling inexpensive
> DRO
> readout scales and such that offer SPC output. Are there any simple
> ways
> to take this output and display it on a PC screen?

In general, yes. It is a serial data stream, but not RS-232 levels. It
may not even
be standard asynchronous charaters, but I think most of them are.

> Further, is there any
> way to use it to provide data to a PC for CNC operations?

No, the update rate is WAY too slow, a couple of readings per second.
My EMC system reads position and changes the commanded velocity to
the servos at 1000 times a second. With such a slow update rate, you
would have to restrict the machine to incredibly low speeds to have any
accuracy at all. It might take 10 seconds to settle at some position,
too.

Jon Elson 2000-09-03 23:17:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DRO-101: SPC for CNC?