CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more Re: Re: fonts

ballendo@... wrote:

> I called Don Lancaster, and asked him if the following statement(s)
> was true or false:
>
> > Postscript IS a vector based description language, including fonts.
> > > The vectors are TRANSLATED into raster bitmaps for output.
>
> He replied, "it's mostly true" and went on to say that the END DEVICE
> is what takes the page description, which is vector info,(as I said)
> and "translates" this information into bitmaps, if necessary.
>
> So it seems I was not mistaken in my original assertion. In the
> programs you spoke of writing, what was your END DEVICE? A screen?
> (definitely WILL use bitmaps, if available).

A laser printer. But, in any case where I load a font, I load it by
sending a bitmap
of it. I learned this technique from the dvips program, which takes TeX
device-
independant information and converts to PostScript.

> Ultimately, nearly ALL standard output devices (printers,screens,
> raster plotters) will use bitmaps.
> However,we on the list have VECTOR END DEVICES, and if that is made
> known to the PS interpreter it will give us vector info.

Hmm, a fascinating thought - sending PostScript to a milling machine to
engrave
a plaque or something! I also have a 1000 x 1000 DPI raster laser
photoplotter.
It would be very useful to be able to convert PS for it. I know source
code is
floating around, is there any you can recommend?

Thanks,

Jon Elson 2000-09-11 23:57:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more Re: Re: fonts