CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wanting to load up linux

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-09-12 05:23:08 UTC
Tim Goldstein wrote:

> I don't remember the exact size, but I think I loaded 5.2 onto a 700 mb or
> so hard drive with a workstation installation.

I have several running linux system with only about 200mb. There is a 3
floppy version of muLinux that will boot and run an Xwindow environment.
So linux can run in some very small sizes.

The problem is, the standard install scripts only offer a couple
pre-packaged options, that load a ton of stuff that you dont need- like
the HOWTO files in 23 languages. But to select from the list just what
you DO need takes quite a bit of experience.

Try a custom install, then when you see the list of packages dont
install anything unless you know what it is and know you need it. The
rpm (Red Hat Package Manager) program is smart enough to tell you about
dependencies between programs. If you dont select something that you
need later its just seconds to do 'rpm -i <pkgname>' to install it.

ron

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2000-09-11 14:44:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wanting to load up linux Ron Ginger 2000-09-12 05:23:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Wanting to load up linux