CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gecko 320 vs 340

on 2000-09-21 21:57:34 UTC
Jerry,

Hi. Just this evening I got the first multiplier board running,
attached it to the G201 and voila, a G210! Had I attached it to a
G320, it would have been an instant G340.

Not to say there aren't some problems though. Tomorrow I have to
track down a pesky phase-jitter problem with the VCO. This is to be
expected with any new circuit; the cause will be found, isolated and
summarily executed. Takes a few days though.

Regards to your questions; you want to have a high encoder line
count; that sets the dither angle to a small value. The pulse
multiplier takes back the need to have a high step pulse rate.

The G320 is available now at $99, The G340 will be $129 as will the
G210.

When is more problematic. It depends on how quickly I can slay the
afore-mentioned problems and any others that haven't revealed
themselves yet. Best case, before the end of the month; worst case,
new boards and an additionl 2 weeks. In either case it will be a
product that works, and works properly.

About the power supply. 80VDC is the maximum rated voltage. This
rating is based on ensuring that the drive has a long and reliable
life. The drive self-destructs at 115VDC. Someplace between 80VDC and
115VDC its lifetime goes from years to seconds; its lifetime is very
non-linear with voltage above 80VDC. I'd opt for keeping the voltage
below 80VDC.

Please pick a 72VDC power supply for your motor. Use a variac on the
primary of your 90VDC supply if you have to.

Check the 5VDC current consumption spec on your encoder. If it is
50mA or less the G320/G340 will be able to power it directly. If it
is higher, use a seperate 5VDC supply to power the encoder. You
should be in good shape with your choice of motor. You will get 1/2
HP continuous, 1HP peak from it.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ozzie@h... wrote:
> Being well practised in procrastination I have waited long enough
for
> the Goldmine encoders to be sold out, both versions.
>
> New encoders offered by USDigital allow a wide choice of
resolutions.
> With that in mind, what reasons are there to consider the 340
drive,
> what is the price to us for the 340 and when will they be available?
>
> I'd like to attain a step of .0002", speed is not important,
> smoothness is. The machine is an older Shoptask. I'd like to cut
> moorse taper equivalents on the lathe. I'd like to mill scrollwork
> decor on instrument panels.
> The computer is an AMD 450, and the software probably CNCPRO. The
> servo motors will be Sanyo Denki 76 v, 5.5 amp, about 2500rpm.
>
> The specs on these drives recommend no more than 5v over the motor
> voltage, and no more than 80 volts. Is there a way to use 90 volt
> power supply. (Resistors, whatever)???
>
> Can you tell how knowlegable I am?????
>
> Jerry

Discussion Thread