CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VxWin

Posted by eric
on 2000-09-26 17:35:51 UTC
Doug Harrison wrote:

> > "And it's true that Windows can't handle sophisticated machines nor
> any
> > time-critical operation. However, robot, CNC, and Motion control
> companies
> > have solved this problem by using the real-time operating extension,
> VxWin,
> > with Windows to permit VxWorks, the popular real-time operating
> system, to
> > run concurrently."
> >

> Question. What happens when Windoz turns the screen the color of a
> nightmare
> and disassociates itself from the keyboard?

I believe that the systems that run NT on top use the same method as
RTLinux (patented by the RTLinux originator). Since NT runs on top,
they should be able to handle a blue screen in a reasonable manner.
However, that is an issue that they certainly should cover a little
better. Blue screens aren't that common, really on nt that is. The thing
about blue screens is that Linux would do a core dump, but NT locks up.
It's a design feature not a bug:). One of the reasons that MSFT keeps
having service packs is they figure out that this or that program causes
a blue screen so they make it so it doesn't blue screen any more. They
are doing it for your own good (i.e. it's a bad idea, but they are
sticking with it). However, I like the blue screen color so much i use
the OSR blue screen of death screen saver.
eric

Discussion Thread

Jeff Davis 2000-09-25 21:06:39 UTC VxWin ballendo@y... 2000-09-26 01:18:37 UTC re:VxWin Doug Harrison 2000-09-26 16:21:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VxWin eric 2000-09-26 17:35:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VxWin