CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ?

"Heuver, Brad (B.R.)" wrote:

> I've recently scrapped out a Calcomp 1043GT plotter. It was
> able to
> be controlled with the joystick prior to scrapping, but always had pen
>
> related errors, and was given away by a local school in an obsolete
> computer
> related giveway. It has servo motors, with optical shaft encoders,
> and a
> relativly nice power supply, and servo control board. There are
> multiple
> ports for remote plotter control, and keyboard connections. The
> motors are
> equipped with a small, fine tooth gear, that drives a much larger gear
> in an
> integrated unit. They appear to have a ratio of at least 1:15 ++.
> Has anybody used a plotter like this for conversion to a CNC
> controled X/Y device, drill, O/A cutting torch, minimill...

I made an optical head that clamped to the pen carriage of my Calcomp
1076C, a somewhat
bigger plotter with very similar drive mechanism. It plotted directly
onto litho film to make
PC board artwork. You might have problems with it for milling type
work, but a torch or
something like that should work fine. The Calcomp plotters generally
have VERY high
resolution due to the design. Most of them have a resolution of
something like .002"
(it is something funny that makes a good least common factor for both
inches and mm).

> It looks like
> with the proper driver modifications it could be controlled directly
> from a
> serial cable, with no other electical hardware needed. I would have
> to get
> it out of fault mode, and able to take direct commands, probably with
> HPGL.

Calcomp doesn't use HPGL, they use PCL, their own proprietary language.
The files are
10 x smaller, though. There is a Dutch site that has an HPGL to PCL
converter that works
fine.

Heuver, Brad (B.R.) 2000-10-04 15:41:12 UTC Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-04 15:55:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Jon Elson 2000-10-05 00:01:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Jon Elson 2000-10-05 00:13:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Kevin P. Martin 2000-10-05 07:18:37 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ?