CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ?

on 2000-10-04 15:55:16 UTC
Brad,

The Calcomp plotter must have some fair sized steppers. I suppose one
could compute the x & y scales, and drive it like an HPGL plotter! Pen
UP/DN could run a stepper between two preset limits for Z. 15:1 might be
s.l.o.w., but OK for starters. Are you intending to drive a Sherline
mill, or your own xy table?

Try to determine the stepper motor sizes. You'll want about 70 oz/in
for a Sherline mill, the more the better. I just bought (cheap, for
parts) a BIG D or E size plotter (forgot the name, not HP or Calcomp),
If it doesn't immediately come up and plot great stuff, I intend to
strip it also. SO... we may have a similar thread.

I have MAXNC for software (both step/dir and 4-phase), and I expect I'll
identify the stepper drivers in it, and drive them directly from a
parallel port. If I get "step/direction" signals, GREAT! If I get
4-phase, that's OK too! Try to determine what you have (as will I), and
we'll figure out a way to drive'em. Or, sure, just do HPGL.

Alan

"Heuver, Brad (B.R.)" wrote:

> I've recently scrapped out a Calcomp 1043GT plotter. It was able to
> be controlled with the joystick prior to scrapping, but always had pen
> related errors, and was given away by a local school in an obsolete computer
> related giveway. It has servo motors, with optical shaft encoders, and a
> relativly nice power supply, and servo control board. There are multiple
> ports for remote plotter control, and keyboard connections. The motors are
> equipped with a small, fine tooth gear, that drives a much larger gear in an
> integrated unit. They appear to have a ratio of at least 1:15 ++.
> Has anybody used a plotter like this for conversion to a CNC
> controled X/Y device, drill, O/A cutting torch, minimill... It looks like
> with the proper driver modifications it could be controlled directly from a
> serial cable, with no other electical hardware needed. I would have to get
> it out of fault mode, and able to take direct commands, probably with HPGL.
> ?
> What says the collective wisdom of the group?
>
> Brad Heuver

Discussion Thread

Heuver, Brad (B.R.) 2000-10-04 15:41:12 UTC Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-04 15:55:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Jon Elson 2000-10-05 00:01:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Jon Elson 2000-10-05 00:13:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ? Kevin P. Martin 2000-10-05 07:18:37 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Calcomp Plotter suitibility for XY CNC control ?