CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Plasma Gap Control

Posted by Tom Caudle
on 2000-10-09 15:26:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Joe Vicars <jvicars@c...> wrote:
> One of the plasma kit people (I think Torchmate) has
incorporated a
> feedback device on their plasma cutters to maintain accurate gap
control
> over wavy steel and uneven surfaces, etc. I thought they were
going to
> sense changes in the cutting current, but it looks like they are
using
> proximity sensors instead.
> This feeds a signal back to the controller to increment the Z
axis
> up and down to maintain good gap, and therefore more consistent
cuts.

Costs almost 1700 bucks. Not that it isn't worth it, but it would
stretch my current budget past its point of elastictivity <SP?>. I
found one from Australia for about 1400 that uses the torch voltage
as feed back....how I don't know. Monitoring the current might help
but a lot of the better Plasma rigs have current control to stabalize
the arc and that wouldn't help. Their rig is completely self-
contained with its own feedback and stepper so nothing goes back to
the Z axis controller. The challenge is of course the atmosphere you
have to work in...thousands of degrees, molten metal and enough light
to sunburn George Hamilton.

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-10-09 14:20:07 UTC Plasma Gap Control Tom Caudle 2000-10-09 15:26:20 UTC Re: Plasma Gap Control