CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: English humor : translation for American readers :-)

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2000-10-11 08:07:32 UTC
>> "Ian Wright" <Ian@i...> wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> My method would be to turn a small length of bar stack to
>> the hole diameter and, at the same setting, turn the end to
>> an accurate point (you can leave a shoulder between hole
>> diameter and point if you wish to stop it falling
>> through) then set up to this point. If I want real
>> accuracy here I set another true point in place of the
>> tool and just nip an old razor blade between the two points
>> - you can soon see if they line up, even a thou
>> either way will make the blade tip at an alarming angle! This is
>> also the best way of setting a lathe tailstock in line with
>> the headstock.
>>
>> Ian
>> Sheffield UK

> "Terry Ackland" responds
> -Ian
> bits of razor blades and old WD optics? Tell me you still ride your
> bike to mill with your egg sandwiches in a gasmask bag. I can rember
> the days when us Brits did not have the proverbial pot but things
> have changed - at least down south.
> Terry Ackland

Translation for American readers:

Terry's reference to the "proverbial pot" comes from "didn't have
a pot to piss in" and the "things have changed - at least down south"
is a dig at Ian being in Sheffield (an old mill town). In England
"southerners" (not sure exactly where the line is) tend to regard
"northerns" the way American "northerners" tend to regard American
"southerners" .. i.e. a bit rustic and unsophisticated. Interestingly
enough the accent changes are reversed as well. In the U.S. the further
south you go the stronger the drawl, in the U.K., the further north
you go the broader the accent until you get to Scotland where people
are entirely undeciperable! :-)

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2000-10-11 08:07:32 UTC Re: English humor : translation for American readers :-) James Owens 2000-10-11 09:33:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: English humor : translation for American readers :-) catboat15@a... 2000-10-11 13:29:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: English humor : translation for American readers :-) Ian Wright 2000-10-11 15:57:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: English humor : translation for American readers :-)