CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: English humor translation

Posted by Terry Ackland
on 2000-10-11 18:11:53 UTC
---Ken,
about 10 years back my wife's aunt came for a visit. She was in her
early 70's and like a bent stick, she was also a little deaf deaf so
she was a bit loud! My wife and her sister took her on a bus trip to
Ottawa, I think it was, and she got chatting to an old soldier that
had been stationed in the UK during the war. They were sitting across
from each other an really got on together and chatted all the way
back to Montreal. They guy had to get off the bus before auntie and
as
the guy was getting off the bus she shouted, " If you ever come to
London again you will have to come and knock me up". Well, a deadly
hush descended over the bus and my wife and her sister just burst out
laughing. "Knocking someone up in London means to "knock on the door"
or visit if you are in the area. "Knocking someone up " in North
America means something quite different.
Terry
In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ken Jenkins <kjenkins@n...> wrote:
> > Message: 24
> > Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:21:41 -0700
> > From: dave engvall <dengvall@n...>
> > Subject: Re: Re: English humor : translation for American
readers
:-)

> >> south you go the stronger the drawl, in the U.K., the further
north
> >> you go the broader the accent until you get to Scotland where
people
> >> are entirely undeciperable! :-)
> >>

> > I'm reminded of the story about a American tourtist lont in
London
that
> > decided to ask the postman directions. It turned out that neither
> > could understand the other and passerby needed to intercede.
>
> My wife and her family are English and also one of my business
partners.
> I end up "across the pond" at least once a year. Over 25 years I've
> grown accustomed to different accents and uniquely English words.
> Drive on the M25 circular for 2 hours with my English partner and
> you will learn a lot of new and colorful (or should I say colourful)
> words (wally, toerag, wanker, git, and the one with perhaps the most
> contoured origins ... berk).
>
> I was in Hendley a while ago with my American partner and they
> were filming something (a movie or TV show) on a bridge. He decided
> he'd go over and talk to the crew and report back on what was up. I
> watched as he carried on a conversation with them for a few minutes
> and returned. "Well", I asked, "Is it a movie?". He had the most
> pained expression on his face and said, "You know ... I didn't
under-
> stand a word they said, but I'm sure they were speaking English".
> True story ... cracked me up.

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2000-10-11 11:31:15 UTC Re: English humor translation Terry Ackland 2000-10-11 18:11:53 UTC Re: English humor translation Terry Ackland 2000-10-11 18:12:37 UTC Re: English humor translation