CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Interesting Observation

on 2000-10-17 10:48:23 UTC
There is no difference between them except precision and quality. You
can use a servomotor anywhere you use an ordinary DC motor.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Joe Vicars <jvicars@c...> wrote:
> I was playing with a bunch of motors on the bench last night,
seeing
> which ones would run off my 20V .5A power supply.
> I observed an interesting difference between my servos and the
> regular DC motor. If you grab the shaft of a vanilla DC motor and
stop
> it you can feel the shaft pushing against your grip, trying to go.
> If you do the same thing with the servo, you feel a definate
cogging
> when the shaft speed gets to zero. It's like the torque "switched
> off". If you let go of the shaft, the servo starts spinning
again. I
> am guessing that this has something to do with the servo's ability
> "hold" postion.
> Anyone want to enlighten me as to why? I still don't
understand the
> difference.

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-10-17 08:59:35 UTC Interesting Observation Mariss Freimanis 2000-10-17 10:48:23 UTC Re: Interesting Observation Jon Elson 2000-10-17 14:45:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Interesting Observation