CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Carbide insert information

on 2000-10-20 07:23:06 UTC
>Wally K wrote:
>> Does anyone know where to get information on carbide inserts. I am
>> trying to figure out the lettering scheme used to identify inserts.
>> Also there seems to be a associated numbering scheme for size of
>> insert.
>There is a description in Machinery's Handbook (which you really
>should have, there is SO much great info in there!)
>
>Try
>http://www.eng.fiu.edu/cyberlearning/onlinetut/Mastercam/chapter02/chapter02.ht
>about 1/3 of the way down is a pretty good overview of the ANSI and ISO
>grades for garbide inserts.
etc etc.
What I find frustrating is that they seem to be using a couple of letter codes
that *aren't in the table*. In particular, one value for the cross-section shape
(i.e. 1 or 2 side chipbreaker, hole or not, etc) is often not in the table
(sorry, I don't have a catalogue handly to tell you *which* letter code it is).
What's frustrating is that this seems to turn up primarily in the less-common
positive-rake inserts, which are the ones I am primarily interested in.

None of the catalogues explain the rake issue very well... The negative rake
tooling seems to combine flat-topped inserts with tool holders that hold the
insert tilted by the desired rake angle, but the positive rake tooling seems
(but I can't tell for sure) to use an insert with a raked top (combined with
chipbreaker), held in a level land in the tool holder. It should also be
possible (and seems to be representable in the coding alphabet soup) to take a
high-relief-angle insert with a flat top, and hold it on a positive-rake land in
a tool holder, sacrificing some of the relief angle to get positive rake, but I
have seen no such tooling system. Perhaps some other issue precludes this
configuration.
-Kevin Martin

Discussion Thread

Wally K 2000-10-19 15:32:57 UTC Carbide insert information Doug Harrison 2000-10-19 18:08:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Carbide insert information Jon Elson 2000-10-19 21:54:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Carbide insert information Tim Goldstein 2000-10-19 22:10:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Carbide insert information Kevin P. Martin 2000-10-20 07:23:06 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Carbide insert information dougrasmussen@c... 2000-10-20 09:08:35 UTC Re: Carbide insert information Kevin Martin 2000-11-13 08:27:53 UTC Re: Carbide insert information Wally K 2000-11-13 20:23:18 UTC Re: Carbide insert information